MAKE A DIFFERENCE
The Program is temporarily paused
Volunteering at the Greater Vancouver Zoo provides participants with a unique opportunity to have fun in a beautiful setting while learning about zoo operations, animal care, and conservation education.
Once in the program, volunteers also have the opportunity to apply and interview for positions including animal care, horticulture, education and leadership roles within the Volunteer Program.
You will gain
- Customer service and presentation skills
- Increase your ability to communicate effectively with audiences of all ages and learning abilities
- Knowledge about the animals at the zoo, their lives in the wild and how we can help them
- The chance to excite and inspire those you meet at the zoo to better connect them to the animals we share the world with and the issues they face in the wild
- Enthusiastic, energetic and interested in working with the public and nature
- Minimum 16 years of age or accompanied by a responsible adult willing to volunteer and meet program requirements
- Ability to communicate in English
- Agree to background reference and criminal record check
- Submit application package prior to deadline provided
- Attend a 3-hour orientation and a 30-hour training session
- Willing to complete probation period
- Commit to a minimum of 6 volunteer hours of service per month
Why I love being a volunteer at the Greater Vancouver Zoo:
"Being a volunteer at the Greater Vancouver Zoo allows me the opportunity to be involved in things that matter to me! As a former teacher, I enjoy educating others about the conservation, preservation and protection of animals. [...] Whether it’s being involved with animal care, guest relations, trade shows, maintenance, special events, info booth or just chatting with guests, there’s always something new and exciting to do!"
-Kathy, dedicated volunteer
Volunteer Orientation takes place in the months of September and April each year.
Volunteer of the Year
Congratulations to Elfie Ringrose on receiving the Greater Vancouver Zoo 2018 Volunteer of the Year award. Elfie has been nominated by her fellow volunteers and Greater Vancouver Zoo staff due to her 12 years of dedication and service. Elfie has accumulated over 2240 volunteer hours so far and has been a valuable asset to our team. Elfie was honoured by Canada's Accredited Zoos and Aquariums in 2017 when she received their Volunteer of the Year award for all her efforts assisting with our conservation programs. We greatly appreciate Elfie's contributions and congratulate her on this well-deserved recognition.